Immokalee MSTU launches anti-littering campaign
It's time for a little trash talkin'...specifically cleaning it up but, more importantly, not dumping it out there to begin with!
The Immokalee Municipal Services Taxing Unit (MSTU) has launched an anti-littering campaign because, wll, any community aspiring to be an example of "Florida in the 21st Century" simply can't abide the 20th Century notion that public litter is accetable. Not on these streets.
The MSTU is part of the Immoklaee Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) and is responsible for the beautification of street medians, street lighting and other community enhancements among other facts, the MSTU reminds us:
- Street litter decreases a community's overall property value by 7 percent.
- Street litter serves as a great breeding ground for bacteria of many kinds.
- 52 percent of all litter comes from motorists dumping trash out the window.
- Nearly 23 percent comes from pedestrians dropping trash at their feet and moving on.
- It takes 1 million years for a plastic jug to decompose.
So, what can we do?
- Change our attitude: 85 percent of litter is the result of individual attitudes, people not caring.
- Properly discard all trash: 17 percent of all litter is the result of failed attempts at proper disposal.
- Don't contribute or condone: 15 percent of all litter is the result of people simply conforming to surroundings. If you see a pile of litter, clean it up. Don't contribute to it.
Call the Immokalee MSTU for more details and information: 239-867-4121 or email: JeffreyNagle@Colliergov.net.